This Welcome Guide contains all of the information you may need during your stay on Georgia Tech’s campus. Please review and refer to this guide to answer any questions you may have.
All ILP guests are assigned a Resident Assistant (RA). An RA is a Georgia Tech student staff member (SSM) who is responsible for the management of halls and buildings, including advising and counseling individuals and groups, planning programs, enforcing hall policies, and managing administrative functions. Your designated RA will reach out to you shortly after move-in to review community guidelines.
For additional assistance, please contact our office at 404-395-0303.
- Your Building
- Building Guidelines
- Campus Transportation and Shuttles
- Buzzcard Services
- Campus Services
- Safety and Security
- Internet Info
- Office of Conference Services
North Avenue South
Your lodging is located in North Avenue South Apartments (NAS). This building is located on Georgia Tech’s East campus and is within the North Avenue Apartment Complex at 120 North Avenue NW.
Access and Keys
North Avenue Apartments has multiple gated entrances surrounding the complex for the safety of our guests. For entry, simply scan your BuzzCard on the small card readers next to each entrance. All doors to North Avenue South (NAS) will remain locked at all times as an added security measure.
At check-in, you will be provided with two keys. One that opens the main entrance to your apartment (as well as the building entrances) and one that opens and locks your bedroom door. Each lost or damaged key will incur a significant fine payable at our front desk or billed to your account.
Lost Keys? Locked Out?
If you have lost your apartment keys, temporary keys can be signed out at the Conference Services North Avenue Office (NAS 121) for up to three days. After this time, you will be charged to replace the key(s).
All apartment entry doors automatically lock when closed. While this feature provides additional security, it can lead to guests locking their keys in the apartment. We suggest carrying your keys on your person at all times to prevent a lockout, but should you ever need assistance, please contact our office between the hours of 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM at 404-395-0303 or your RA on duty after 8:00 PM at 404-395-9897.
North Avenue South has an indoor basketball court and workout room in the Recreation Center located on the first floor that is free and available to guests throughout the summer. The Recreation Center will be closed intermittently for maintenance and facility updates that are not controlled by the Office of Conference Services.
If the Recreation Center in NAS does not fit your needs, the Campus Recreation Center (CRC) offers additional fitness equipment and classes to the Georgia Tech community that can be accessed with a membership fee. More information about the CRC can be found at www.crc.gatech.edu.
Laundry facilities are located on the first floor of North Avenue South. All machines are front loading and require a BuzzCard to operate. Laundry at Georgia Tech is FREE, however, a one cent charge will appear on your statement. This charge comes out of a special laundry allotment and is not a charge on your account. Laundry supplies such as detergent or dryer sheets are not provided.
For more information, please view the Housing Laundry Guide.
Please review important building policies and community guidelines listed below. For a complete list of Georgia Tech Housing policies, please contact your Resident Assistant. RAs are located on every floor to assist residents and answer any questions regarding the residence facilities and campus policies.
Sprinkler heads are not to be tampered with or used to hang personal items. Signs are posted by every sprinkler as a friendly reminder. Disregarding these policies may result in discharging a sprinkler that pours out 250 gallons of water per minute. This will flood your apartment and surrounding apartments. Georgia Tech and the Office of Conference Services are not responsible for the loss or damages you may incur as a result of a sprinkler discharged due to resident negligence.
A resident who knowingly causes a sprinkler to activate may be subject to eviction.
Residents are responsible for the condition of their room and all shared spaces. Should damages of Georgia Tech property occur and the Georgia Institute of Technology determines that it is unable to assign liability for such damage, Student shall share equally with other building/floor/unit/suite residents the cost of cleaning, repair or replacement of any Georgia Institute of Technology property in common areas of the building/floor/unit/suite including but not limited to hallways, lounges and laundry rooms. Georgia Institute of Technology at its sole discretion shall determine the amount of any costs for cleaning, loss, or damage and shall notify Student of such charges. There are no appeals to a collective liability charge.
Fish in aquariums no larger than 10 gallons are the only permissible pet in the residential facilities at Georgia Tech. An individual found to have any non-permissible pet within the residence will be fined and may be subject to eviction.
Service animals are welcomed at Georgia Tech. To ensure swift accommodation for you and your documented service animal, please notify the Office of Conference Services immediately so arrangements may be made prior to your check-in date.
Life Safety Checks
As a resident of Georgia Tech you are required to abide by our safety policies and are subject to Safety Inspections performed by your designated Resident Assistant (RA).
The following is prohibited:
- Halogen-torchbearer lights.
- Open flames including candles, incense burners, and open element hot plates.
- Extension cords may not power a major appliance (refrigerator, mini-fridge, television, computer, microwave, etc.).
- Extension cords or cables of any kind obstructed by flammable material such as rugs or carpeting.
- Items hanging from or attached to the overhead lights, sprinkler heads, pipes, or ceiling.
Health and Safety Requirements
- Cleanliness of the bedroom and apartment must be maintained to prevent health hazards.
- Power strips with multiple outlets must have a surge protector.
- Refrigerators, including mini-fridges, must be plugged directly into a wall receptacle (outlet).
- Only one major appliance may be plugged into a wall receptacle (outlet).
Georgia Tech Department of Housing and Residence Life has a fully equipped and prepared team of maintenance professionals to help with any maintenance needs that may arise. Please report all Non-Emergency and Emergency maintenance issues to the appropriate personnel for prompt service.
Issues that you may have with your apartment should be addressed quickly by calling or emailing us with the information at the bottom of this page.
Non-Emergency maintenance issues include:
Smoke detector batteries, etc.
Please call our Conference Services Office located in North Avenue South at 404-395-0303 or email us at email@example.com with your name, room number, building, and issue description for all non-emergency repairs.
Emergency maintenance is necessary when there is a maintenance issue that affects your safety and immediate well-being. These issues require immediate attention and should not be delayed. Please refer to the chart below and contact the appropriate personnel.
Emergency requests include:
No lights at all
Person stuck in elevator, etc.
Georgia Tech offers a variety of transportation options to travel safely and easily around campus and to locations in the surrounding area. Read more below to learn about the options available to the Georgia Tech community.
The Stinger Shuttles has 4 routes: Gold, Red, Blue, and Green. Red and Blue serve the core of Georgia Tech campus, while the Green extends North and South of campus to GTRI and Techwood Parkway. The Gold Route provides transportation between Tech Square, the Midtown MARTA station, and the Campus Recreation Center with stops in between along Ferst Drive. The bus runs through the heart of campus along Ferst Drive and includes a stop at the Campus Recreation Center.
For live updates visit Stinger Bus Information. Generally, buses run at 12 minute intervals Mon – Fri and 40 min on weekends
- Red Route: Mon-Fri, 7 a.m. – 9:45 p.m.
- Blue Route: Mon-Fri, 7 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Green Route: Mon-Fri, 6:45 a.m. – 9 p.m.
The Stingerette provides on-campus, one-way, service after Stinger Shuttles have stopped running for the day. Guests can call between 9 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. to request to be picked up anywhere on campus and dropped off at another campus location.
To request a ride, call 404-385-7275.
- Be prepared with the number of riders, the name of the pickup building, and the name of the destination building.
- Be outside when the van arrives. Stingerettes will only wait for 5 minutes.
- Travel is only single-leg and one-way.
- Drivers cannot change destination and will only serve campus properties after shuttle service has ended.
Stinger bus service is provided to Atlantic station’s Publix grocery store on Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., with the exception of Institute holidays. Atlantic Station offers many other stores and shops to visit. This includes: Ikea, H&M, Dillards, Target, and more. There are also many restaurant options as well as a Regal Movie Theater with IMAX. More information about the shuttle system is available online at Other Shuttles.
A BuzzCard is a campus card similar to an ID, access fob, and debit card all at once. It is used to enter the turnstiles at the entrances of the North Avenue Apartment complex as well as the entrances to North Avenue South apartments and the parking deck, pay for dining on campus, operate laundry machines, as well as marks you as a member of the Georgia Tech community.
When Will I Get One?
If you are not a Georgia Tech student, your BuzzCard will be given to you at check-in. If you are a Georgia Tech student, your school issued BuzzCard will grant you access to your assigned residence hall and parking after you have checked in with Conference Services staff.
Use and Depositing Money
Your BuzzCard can be used to enter your residence hall and operate laundry machines. Additional paid features include access to the CRC, assigned parking areas (free if registered before check-in), and select dining locations on campus.
How Do I Deposit Money?
There are several options for depositing money onto your BuzzCard.
- Online at buzzcard.gatech.edu/manage-my-card.
- In person during normal business hours at the Bursar’s office or at the BuzzCard Office in Barnes & Noble at Tech Square.
Value Transfer Stations – our 24 hr walk up kiosk that provide BuzzCard Debit Account Deposits. It also allows for cash deposits directly into your account. Kiosks are located in North Avenue North lobby, North Ave Dining Hall, and Barnes & Noble.
I Lost My Buzzcard!
Your first card is free with registration. Replacement BuzzCards can be made through the BuzzCard Office located at Barnes & Noble in Tech Square. They’re on the corner of 5th St. and Spring St. The office is open from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. Mon – Fri.
A replacement card is $30 and needs to be paid during the order. You can call the BuzzCard office at: 404-894-2899 during business hours.
Information below will help you access a range of supporting campus services offered to Intern Lodging Participants.
Intern Lodging Program East
835 McMillan St NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
Parking passes are free to all Intern Lodging Program guests but must be selected during registration. Your BuzzCard will be assigned access to the North Avenue South Parking Deck, Zone ER54.
Once registration is closed, parking passes must be purchased through Georgia Tech’s Office of Parking and Transportation Services on their webpage at pts.gatech.edu or by phone at 404-385-7275.
Campus Recreation Center
A membership to the Campus Recreation Center (CRC) may be purchased during registration for $45 per month. Membership access to the Campus Recreation Center may be purchased at any point during the summer by visiting the CRC membership services desk or through their website at crc.gatech.edu.
- Fitness Center with: – Weight Machines, Free Weights, Elliptical Machines, Rowers, Stationary Bikes, and Stair-climbers
- Racquetball & squash courts
- Studio Workout Rooms
- Competition Swimming Pools
- Leisure Pool
- 184 ft Water Slide
- Diving Well
- Indoor Track
- Volleyball Courts
- Basketball Courts
- Rock Climbing Wall
- and more!
Your safety is a priority here at Georgia Tech. Please review the information below to learn more about important safety measures on campus.
Campus police can be reached 24/7 at 404-895-2500 for emergencies and non-emergencies. More information about the Georgia Tech Police Department can be found at police.gatech.edu.
Evacuation Plan and Location
In the case of activated fire alarm, it is very important that you leave your room as quickly as possible.
As you exit:
1. Turn off all appliances, including the stove/oven if cooking.
2. Put on shoes and a coat if needed.
3. Feel doors as you exit. If they feel hot to the touch, be careful.
4. Exit to the nearest stairwell.
5. If you cannot exit because of the fire, call the campus police and then go to your window and open it.
Campus police can be reached at 404-894-2500.
Please review the Fire Evacuation Procedures to be prepared in an emergency.
Evacuation Location for NAS
The designated meeting point for North Avenue South Residents is the grass courtyard in the North Avenue Complex. Evacuation maps are located in every apartment inside the entrance door and in every stairwell. RAs will provide further instructions shortly after your arrival on campus.
Housing’s Safety Steps
For those living on campus, the Department of Housing takes steps to ensure that certain needs are met, among them the need for safety and security. These steps include keeping the outside doors locked 24 hours a day and making sure a student staff member (RA) is on duty in each area whenever the Community Offices are closed (8 p.m. – 8 a.m. during the week and 24 hours a day on the weekends and holidays).
Your Safety Steps
Developing simple habits from the moment you arrive on campus can reduce the likelihood of problems and headaches in the future.
- Lock your doors and carry your keys whenever you are away from your room.
- Do not prop any exterior doors, or allow them to be propped open. This is convenient for thieves. To prevent this, all doors have alarms that will go off after 30 seconds.
- Keep a record of the serial numbers on your television, computers, stereos, bike, etc and register these items with the Georgia Tech Police Department. It is helpful to take pictures of these items. You can find more information about registering your items at www.police.gatech.edu/registration
- Protect items such as credit and debit cards. Do not write your pin number on your cards.
- Report theft. If you have any valuables stolen, you can take action. First, file a report with the Georgia Tech Police Department by calling: 404-894-2500. You can give them serial numbers and copies of pictures of your valuables, or let them know that items are registered to their database. Notify your RA who can then fill out an Incident report so that it is on record with the Department of Housing.
- Do not leave clothes unattended in the laundry room for an extended period of time. Residents will be sharing a laundry facility with many other people. The potential for having someone accidentally pick up clothes that don’t belong to them is fairly high.
Internet information for connecting your devices can be found below.
Please contact us if you need wired internet instructions
- Connect your computer to the data jack (usually bottom jack) using a Cat 5 Ethernet Cable
- Go to start.gatech.edu in a browser. Follow the instructions to register your computer.
For non-computer devices (smart tv, game consoles, etc) contact the Office of Conference Services at 404-385-3016.
Wreck Tech support Georgia Tech’s Housing Network Mon – Fri: 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Visit WreckTechs
- Call 404-894-0044
Contact Conference Services
The North Avenue South Conference Services Office is located on the first floor of NAS in room 121.
Monday – Sunday
8:00 AM – 8:00 PM
After hours assistance from RA on Duty
8:00 PM – 8:00 AM